At various locations on our book tour we will be popping up in public spaces with sidewalk chalk paint!
I experimented in Oakland this weekend and it was a huge success!
It is so easy and fun! And it washes off!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 Tbsp Chalk dust
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Warm Water
- Squirt of dish soap.
- Divide chalk into piles of like colors.
- Using a mortar and pestle (or a smaller bowl inside a big bowl) crush the chalk into a fine powder.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the water slowly to avoid clumping.
- Whisk the chalk dust into the water & cornstarch mixture.
- Mix in the dish soap.
- Volia! You have chalk paint!
- The ingredients separate over time so use a container with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously to recombine.
- For thicker paint add more cornstarch.
- Some websites encourage using tempera paint, in an early test we found that it does not wash off the pavement.